La Fondazione Vacchi
The main purpose of the Sergio Vacchi Foundation, recognized by Tuscany Region in 1998, is to locally promote cultural events capable of involving national and international artistic personalities.
According to its statute the Vacchi Foundation organizes exhibitions, concerts and plays, promotes and develops history of art studies, enlarges its own picture-gallery and publishes both critic essays and literary works on figurative arts.
Some of the Foundation’s buildings are used as lodgings, where foreign academics are hosted, and others as meeting rooms where seminars and Master’s classes in Painting and History of Art take place.
The “Sergio Vacchi Foundation” has its headquarters on the southern Sienese hills at the Grotti Castle, which was built on an ancient Etruscan settlement.
In 1221 the tower was recalled as place of origin of Orlandino di Azzo, an active business man, and later on belonged to the patrician family named Ugurgieri until 1687.
Other news attest that it was conquered and devastated with the annex houses and the nearby Torre delle Strine by the Austrian-Hispanic soldiers during the last war against Siena and Montalcino.
In the 19th century's the magnificent castle, whose “U”-shaped plan and shoe-shaped foundations make it look like a hybrid building between a fortalice and a palace, was transformed into a country house for the Ballati-Nerli Marquises and also embellished with tree-lined roads and gardens.
In the last century it became one of the properties belonging to the Piccolomini family. It was recently purchased and restored by the painter Sergio Vacchi with the intention to create an international centre for the arts.
In the winter 2006 the Italian garden and the English park belonging to the Foundation were restored thanks to a partial contribution of Tuscany Region: the gardens were embellished with more boxes and an unique and suggestive lightning system was able to give further prominence to the magic of this place, its rare plants growing in the park and in the 17th century's pond.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Name: Sergio Vacchi Foundation
Year of establishment: 1997
Chairman: Marilena Graniti Vacchi
Deputy Chairman: Marco Spinelli
Secretary General: Ursula Benvenuti
Several personalities are members of the Sergio Vacchi Foundation, among whom: Pupi Avati, Avv. Duccio Bari, Prof. Enrico Crispolti, Dott. Pierluigi Marrucci, Prof. Antonio Paolucci.
Castello di Grotti,
Strada del Castello,
53014 Monteroni d'Arbia (SI)
Permanent collection and exhibition centre
Among the main standing activities, the Foundation manages a permanent comprehensive collection of around eighty of Sergio Vacchi’s works. From the 1st October to the 30th April the collection can be visited by previous appointment. The Foundation’s exhibition centre is located at the Grotti Castle. The Foundation also carries out authentications of Sergio Vacchi’s paintings.
It is possible to consult the whole bibliography about Sergio Vacchi and other books and catalogues of contemporary art.
Professional training and education
The Vacchi Foundation is connected with the school qualifying in Archeology and History of Arts at the University of Siena and with the Arts Institutes in Siena and the surrounding area. The Foundation also co-operates with the Academy for Fine Arts, Tuscany Region, Monteroni d’Arbia and Cesena municipalities and the Boca Raton Museum in Miami.
Info and contacts
Fondazione Vacchi - Castello di Grotti
Ville di Corsano
Monteroni d'Arbia 53014
Tel: +39.0577.377181 - +39.0577.377267
Mob: +39.338.8151865 - +39.333.5959879
Shopping at Bookshop
You can order the catalogue and all the Foundation pubblications.
For more information: